Thursday, October 29, 2009

These people don't know how to commute.......


So the bay bridge is broken - an "I" beam snapped, part of an earlier high quality repair, causing mayhem for Americans - and a barely noticeable inconvenience to a seasoned London commuter. At worst I was peeved - one level up from miffed in the scale of things.

I suppose that I should admit some responsibility though - I actually traversed the aged structure a few minutes before the collapse and think that it may have been the fact that I am eating too many pies that overloaded the damn thing.

In any event, the fact that the bridge was out meant that the local populous had to abandon their tin boxes (complete with Starbucks in hand) and get on public transport like the rest of us poor slobs.

You would think that the world had ended - the tube (BART) was exceptionally busy - there must have been ooh - 6 or 7 people in each carriage. Of course, many seemed to find this all too much, poor dears, and had to "work" from home....... the roads and other bridges were quieter than normal

Mind you - the commute was more interesting. In addition to the usual compliment of crazies talking to themselves and screaming MutherF****r at random intervals - I got to stand next to a very pretty girl who had brought her bicycle - she must be a student at Berkley.

Stencilled on the crossbar was I LOVE C*CK - what a nice girl

I must take her home to meet mother.

In the end it's the tramps that I felt sorry for - usually they have the carriages to themselves and use the BART as a kind of constantly moving dormitory- they do the same with the buses (MUNI). I don't mind this - although a guy was found dead after the bus had parked up for 6 hours - I thought that he was just being aloof - at least he was nice and quiet and didn't call me a mutherF**ker.

That's the nice thing about the dead people on the buses - they keep themselves to themselves.

Richard

1 comment:

  1. Good Lord, your blog's a God damned joy. I expect - with those words - I too will be introduced to your mother.

    It's one of those blogs you have to read aloud from, to anyone sitting near or in ear shot 'cos you can't get the witticisms to yourself. That student sounds ever so timid, poor lamb.

    R.

    ReplyDelete